I am a Conservative. I have been since President Carter’s failure in 1979 to deal appropriately with Iran for taking our embassy over and taking our people as hostages. My political views do not match President Elect Obama’s. Nevertheless, here are some of my thoughts about this historic election.
- He is my President now. He deserves my respect and support and he has that now. However, I reserve the right to disagree with his policies as many still do. Again, I am an American, and President Elect Obama deserves honor and respect.
- I know that racism still exists in this world, and sadly always will because we are in a fallen world, but America has shown the world that racism can be overcome. I have a side opinion about this too. I hope that Americans will see that while this country enacted laws that helped to stop much of the racism, it should be understood that many Christians have helped too. So if you are a Christian tonight and have been frustrated because an African-American has been elected, then you better allow the Holy Spirit to reveal to you that you are sinning against God and His children. Likewise, if you are someone that thought that Christians were part of the problem with racism, I have heard this from time to time, then be advised that many of us preach against this and teach that God loves everybody. We rejoice that American seems a little more colored blind tonight.
- President Elect Obama will likely be compassionate in dealing with those who struggle in poverty.
- Juan Williams described a picture in his mind of the Obamas and their children enjoying the White House. I too am excited for this family to enjoy this experience. In a couple of months, they will be our First Family. I pray that God will keep them safe, prosper them, bless them, and shine His face upon them.
- Our nation is great! I cannot imagine the amount of fear, shock, and awe, that may be going through Obama’s mind right now. What an awesome responsibility!
- I wish that his grandmother could have seen this day. I too was raised by mother and grandmother. He has a commonality with me and many other Americans. It will be good to have someone who does seem to have a connection with those of us who have not been so privileged in life.
- As a Christian it is important to remember that our hope in Jesus Christ. No matter who would have won this would not have changed. So fear not.
- The Obamas appear to be a good family and will hopefully be an example to our nation about the importance of married couples staying together and mothers and fathers loving their children.
We must pray that God will unite our nation now and bring us closer to Him, each other, and our neighbors. God bless America.