- ESPN gives game balls on Monday Night Football during halftime. So, I thought I would give my game ball to Mike Singletary. I am doing this for his decision to to send Vernon Davis to the showers in the middle of the 49er’s loss to the Seahawks. Singletary was adamant that the 49ers are a team first! Their team will not be about and individual. This is the way it used to be. I also want to say that Vernon Davis admitted that the coach was right on the 49ers web site. I applaud him for saying that and that he thought they could still work together.
- I am a Cowboys fan. It seems that Singletary would be good for that team right now. This team has 13 or 14 pro bowlers on it. They should be winning every game. Yet, it appears to me that this team isn’t sold out to the cause of winning a Super Bowl. Things started off track when Terrel Owens began to get frustrated about the amount of passes he was receiving. When I played high school basketball I wanted the ball every trip down the floor. But if someone else scored for our team I was elated every time. I just wanted us to win. There were games that I would gladly give up scoring to shut down someone else who scored a lot with my defense too. I wanted our team to win and I would do anything to make that happen. I was sold out to our cause of winning each game we played. We didn’t win them all, and we struggled, but I continued at 110% no matter what. Jerry Jones needs to seek guys who will work hard with a good attitude and allow the coaches to coach.
- I attended a funeral yesterday of Herb Dongell. What a man of God! As far as I know his whole family are devoted to Christ. His oldest son teaches at Asbury Theological Seminary and his youngest son is ordained. It sounds bad to say that I enjoyed being at the funeral because I know how sad it usually is. However, some of the life stories that were told about Dr. Herbert Dongell were wonderful to hear. His son shared about how he and his siblings would call and ask thier father what amounts they should put into stocks, 401’s, insurance, and etc. His reply was “The steps of a goodman are ordered by the LORD, And He delights in his way” (Psalm 37:23). Every time! Their father even gave up a chance to play baseball to follow God’s call to become a minister! Nice contrast to the professional athletes who can’t give up thier spotlight so that their teams can win.
- How will I be remembered when I pass? My desire is that my children will remember me as a man devoted Jesus Christ. Yet, for this to happen it will take more than words spoken by me. It will have to be a lifestyle. In other words, the unintentional sermons will be what are remembered. Actions must match the words that are spoken.
- God showed up at our church this Sunday. And, you guessed it. The devil is already trying to tear down in different ways. But greater is He who is in us than he who is in the world. My best attempt at paraphrasing. 🙂
- I am really concerned with our election that is coming up. We live in a dangerous world. One of these two candidates will be tested. I am concerned about one of these two making some of the changes that they are talking about, that likely will not work economically, and then we will spend the next 20 years trying to dig out of a mistake. Redistributing wealth sounds good for Robin Hood stories, but when the government gets involved in it I am a little uneasy. And guess what? I don’t have any wealth and might gain from this type of promise. So, when I make that statement, it cannot be said that I am trying to hang on to something.